Tesla Motors Recalls 29,000 Vehicle Chargers Over Spark Fire Concerns
In a recent recall announcement from Tesla Motors, more than 29,000 Model S, 240 volt vehicle charging adapters have been found to have a possible overheating issue that many cause a fire.
The automaker has advised the NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration) that after a review of the devices, they have found that a defective or incorrectly installed wall receptor could cause problems once the adapter is plugged in.
While Tesla has said that the problem is not a safety issue,
".... the company has determined that a voluntary recall is appropriate as a precautionary measure," Tesla said.
Telsa has advised that they will notify all Model S owners and provide an "over-the-air" update, which some owners have already received. With the update, the on board vehicle charging system will be able to identify any abnormal fluctuations in the power input levels, along with noticing any higher than normal resistance in the connections.
As part of the recall, the manufacturer will also be mailing owners a new, replacement adapter however they have not advised the scheduled date of that mail out.