Halloween Safety Tips for South Carolina Parents
Posted on behalf of Harbin & Burnett on Oct 29, 2015 in Personal Injury
Halloween is supposed to be one of the most enjoyable holidays for children and families in the US. Unfortunately, each year children are tragically killed and seriously injured by drivers on Oct 31.
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, children are four times more likely to be hit by a car on Halloween than any other day of the year. It is estimated that about half of all motor vehicle collisions involve drunk driving. This year, Halloween falls on a weekend, which significantly increases the chances of these pedestrian accidents occurring.
These Halloween safety tips for kids will help ensure a positive trick-or-treating experience for all involved.
South Carolina Halloween Safety Advice
- Kids twelve years and under should always be supervised by an adult when trick-or-treating. Use discretion when children are older, but make sure they stay with their group at all times.
- Apply reflective tape or stickers, so that your children can be seen easily. You can also make use of glow sticks or flashlights to make sure your kids are visible to motorists.
- Choose costumes that are creative and safe. Use face paint or makeup instead of masks to avoid obstructing vision.
- Pick costumes that are sized appropriately. This can prevent children from slips, trips, falls and other accidents.
- Remind your kids to always use sidewalks or paths. If there are no sidewalks, kids should face traffic, walking on the left side of the road.
- Children should take direct routes when possible, because these are the safest. Minimize crossing streets as much as possible.
- Make sure your children look left, right and left again when crossing the street.
- Children should make eye contact with a driver and raise their hands when crossing the street. This will ensure they are seen.
- Remind your children to pay attention to cars backing out of driveways.
The attorneys at Harbin & Burnett wish you and your family a safe and happy Halloween!
If you or a loved one have been injured in an accident due to another party's negligence, contact our experienced South Carolina injury attorneys. We are here to help you get the justice you deserve. We have helped thousands of clients recover damages from their personal injury claims.
Call (888) 821-0247 today for a free case evaluation.