law firm affiliations

If you have been injured, call 1(888)821-0247

Posted on behalf of Harbin & Burnett on May 23, 2018 in Workers' Compensation

I have an admitted SC worker's comp claim. I want to go to my family doctor for treatment.

We often receive this phone call.  The Worker's Compensation Insurance Carrier has accepted the claim and is providing benefits under the worker's compensation statutes. But the injured employee has been instructed to go to Dr. X and he wants to go to his family doctor, since he has been going there for 5 years. He asked the Carrier to send him there but his request has been denied.  What can he do?

Unfortunately, the general rule is that ifthe employer/carrier is paying for medical treatment, then they get to select the treating physician, not the Claimant.  They do not get to direct medical treatment, however.  This means that if an authorized treating physician recommends a particular course of treatment, then the employer/carrier cannot deny same.  

But there are some exceptions to the general rule above and also the employer/carrier will often try to direct medical treatment.  That is why it is important to speak with an attorney to make sure your rights are being protected.

The lawyers at Harbin & Burnett are ready to discuss your claim and advise you of your rights. Call today for a Free consultation.


Back to Top