law firm affiliations

If you have been injured, call 1(888)821-0247

Posted on behalf of Harbin & Burnett on Jun 12, 2018 in Workers' Compensation

South Carolina Worker's Compensation: Can I get mileage to and from the doctor?

This is a questions we get frequently. And the answer is usually "yes".  This is addressed in South Carolina Regualtion 67-1601:

Expenses Incurred in Receiving Medical Treatment; Reimbursement.

A. The expenses incurred for travel to receive medical attention which shall be reimbursed to the claimant are:

(1) Mileage to and from a place of medical attention which is more than five miles away from home in accordance with the amount allowed state employees for mileage; and

(2) Actual cost of expenses incurred using public transportation; and

(3) Actual cost of reasonable overnight lodging and subsistence.

B.  The claimant shall receive reimbursement from the employer's representative.

So the doctor has to be more than 5 miles away or more than 10 miles roundtrip in order to receive reimbursement.  The amount of reimbursement is set by the State. Effective 1/1/18 the rate of reimbursement is 54.5 cents per mile.

In order to get reimbursement, it is important for the claimant to keep detailed records, noting the date of travel, the distance travelled, and the medical provider.  We recommend using Google or Mapquest to determine the distance.  Do not wait until the conclusion of the case to submit your mileage reimbursement request. We recommend that you do it on a monthly basis.

If you have questions, please give us a call today to discuss.  We won't charge you to speak with us and you are under no obligation.


Back to Top